skip to primary navigationskip to content


Please read the following carefully before making an application:

The Department applies the entry requirements stipulated by the Graduate Admissions and Graduate School of Life Sciences. The minimum qualification for Postgraduate studies is a Class 2.1 Honours Bachelors Degree, or a Masters degree from a UK University, or an equivalent standard from an EU or Overseas University.  To check the equivalence guidelines for your home country please see Graduate Admissions - International Qualifications.

There is a minimum English language requirement.

UK Residents and EU citizens

UK residents and EU citizens are eligible to receive studentships from all UK Research Councils, which include BBSRC, EPSRC and NERC being the most relevant.  For UK Residents and EU citizens who have been resident in the UK for at least 3 years, these studentships cover the University Composition Fee and provide a stipend. EU citizens who have not been resident in the UK for at least 3 years are only eligible for a University Composition Fee award - they will need to apply elsewhere for support for living costs.  However EU citizens can apply for a Gates award.

The BBSRC, EPSRC and NERC set their own studentship eligibility criteria for further details about these, please check the links on the right hand side of the screen.

Other students

Students who are neither UK Residents nor EU Citizens (known as overseas students) are not eligible to receive studentships from Research Councils.

Overseas students can apply for University wide funding schemes, such as: Gates Cambridge Trust and Cambridge Overseas & Commonwealth Trusts. Details of these schemes can be found on the links on the right and on the following link - Overseas students can also apply for funding from external bodies to support their studies as well as from their home countries or international schemes.