Graduate Student Administrator
Hours of work: 8.15-4.45 except Wednesdays
Deals with all aspects of Graduate Student administration including:
- Acts as Secretary to Department Graduate Education Committee and works closely with the Committee Chair;
- Processes enquiries and applications for postgraduate study via email and the University’s online application system (CAMSIS);
- BBSRC Studentships and interviews in collaboration with Department of Zoology; Frank Smart Awards and Studentships; CISS funding/Gates Scholarships; CHESS funding exercise;
- Graduate Termly Assessments;
- Graduate First Year Project Proposals and Reports;
- First and Third Year Graduate Seminars;
- Second Year Poster Day;
- Graduate Third Year Data collections;
- Graduate Third and Fourth Year Plans;
- Enters nominations and updates for BBSRC and NERC studentships on the Research Councils Joint Electronic Submission system;
- Notifies the Degree Committee of PhD examiner details;
- Updates Department Graduate Handbook; updates Graduate Studies Prospectus;
- Updates PhD project details on FindaPhD.com
BBSRC Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP) Administrator
Hours of work: 8.00-2.0
Manages the administration of the BBSRC funded Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP) Programme based at Cambridge.
- Co-ordinates DTP studentship advertising; responding to queries from applicants; processing applications; liaison with Departments and Institutions' academic staff regarding applicants.
- Registration of students with Cambridge University; organising induction programme; recruitment of students into 4 cohort groups; dissemination of guidance on BBSRC PhD structure to DTP supervisors, including teaching objectives.
- Allocation of students to taught modules, involving liaison with course co-ordinators, academic staff; assigning a Director of Studies (DoS)
- Monitoring record-keeping with regard to performance and attendance
- Receipt of short rotation project proposals & PhD project proposals and co-ordination of approval via Education Committee; circulation of approved proposals to students and collation of student choices; co-ordination of allocation of choice.
- Co-ordination of project submissions and marking;
- Co-ordination of research proposal submissions and marking;
- Preparation of paperwork for Exam Committees.
- Liaison with GSLS Skills Facilitator to organise student PIPS.
- Receipt and circulation of reports on student experience and performance.
- Act as Secretary for Recruitment and Education Committees, setting up meeting dates, preparing and circulating agendas, minutes and reports as required.
- First point of contact for all BBSRC DTP queries from departments, partner institutions, DTP students and applicants.
- Organise student visit schedule to partner institutions.
- Revise and update the BBSRC DTP Handbook.
- Programme planning.
- Design, manage and maintain the BBSRC DTP University website.
- Member of BBSRC DTP Provider network: exchange of information and good practice with administrators working on DTPs at other HE institutions.
- Organise induction dinner with members of the committees and new students at the beginning of each academic year.
- Liaison with Plant Sciences Accounts to set up students on payroll and to amend their payments annually; monitoring income from PIPS; compiling financial reports for Management Group, Recruitment and Education Committees
- Attend regular finance meetings to discuss the DTP budget
- Writing and submitting bid for next BBSRC DTP funding.
Graduate Student Administrator