The Department currently has three networked printers that are available for general use. Two colour laser printers in the Write-up room (Room 322) and a monochrome one in the Library . Both printers will do duplex printing, i.e. they are capable of printing on both sides of the paper. The Library printer is primarily for printing from the computers in the Library and not for use from computers elsewhere in the Department.
Currently the Department does not charge for the use of either of these printers.
The general procedure is as follows.
- Obtain authorisation to use the printers from the Departmental Administrator.
- Install the printer drivers (see below)
Installing the Printer Drivers
The drivers are stored on the network server grendel. The logon name is ginkgo and the password is aa2Eekee.
Note that the default page size is letter. You must change this to A4 in the printer properties dialog after you have installed the drivers.
As these are networked printers you will need to know the IP Addresses.
HP 2430: 172.19.10.2
HP 3525: 172.29.10.142
OKI C5900: 172.29.10.123
The drivers must be installed from an account that has administrator privileges.
- Start Menu -> My Network Places (If My Network Places does not appear in the start menu, you will first need to select My Computer and then select my Network Places).
- Select Entire Network then Administration.
- Scroll down to grendel server and double-click to open.
- Open the printer_drivers folder then Windows and then the folder for the printer you are installing.
HP now use a Universal Printer Driver. After installing this you can install other printers.
- In the HP folder, double-click the HP-Universal Driver.exe file. This will be unzipped into C:\HP Universal Print Driver.
- Navigate to this folder, scroll down to the Install icon and double-click it.
- Click Yes.
- Choose Dynamic Mode.
- Click Install.
- Finally click Finish.
When the installation has finished, there will be an icon for HP Universal Printing in the Printers and Faxes folder in the Control Panel.
Right-click this icon and select Properties.
- Click Enter an IP Address and enter the appropriate address.
- Tick the box to add this printer to your Printers and Faxes folder and click OK.
The printer has now been installed. As mentioned above you will need to manually check that the paper size is set to A4.
- Right-click the icon for the printer and select Properties.
- Select the Device Settings tab.
- Ensure that all the tray assignments that are available are set to A4.
- Click Apply, OK
- In the OKI folder, open the C5900 folder.
- Scroll down to the Setup icon and double-click it.
- Select your language.
- Click I Agree.
- Click Skip.
- Click Install Driver.
- Select Network Printer then click Next.
- Make sure Directly to the Network using TCP\IP is selected then click Next.
- Select IP address then type it in to the box and click Next.
- Select OKI C5900 and PCL6 then click Next.
- Change the name if you wish then click Next (This can take some time).
The printer must be set up from an account that has administrator privileges.
Download the Drivers
- Finder -> Go -> Connect to Server.
- In the Server Address box enter: smb://172.29.10.114/printer_drivers/Mac.
- Log on with user name and password as above.
- Open the appropriate folder.
- If it has not opened, open the Drivers Folder on your desktop.
- Copy the .dmg file onto your desktop. You can now close the drivers folders.
- Double-click the .dmg file and then double-click the installer and follow the instructions.
Installing the Printer
- Open the System Preferences utility, either from the Dock or Apple Menu -> System Preferences.
- Click on Print & Fax and then the + sign to open the Printer Browser.
- Click IP Printer.
- For Protocol select Internet Printing Protocol - IPP.
- In the Address box type in the IP Address of the printer.
- In the Queue box type in Address of printer.
- In the Name box type anything you wish.
- The location is optional.
- In the Print Using box select from the drop-down list.
- Click Add.
To print to this printer, you will have to choose it from the Shared section of the Printer drop-down menu.